It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:41 am 
Offline
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:26 am
Posts: 166
Location: Denmark
Thanks - but i wrote wrong :(

I meant AML ?? sorry

Abrevations is a little problem for me - english id not my daily language

Regards
Hans

_________________
2002 - Satellite Grey - 2.2L - SE

2016 to ?? , Peugeot 406 Coupe 2,2 petrol.2002, SE, black leather.
2015 to ?? , Peugeot 308 SW, 1,6 e hdi, 120 Hp
2004 to 2016, Peugeot 406 saloon, 2,0 petrol
1998 to 2008, peugeot 306 1,6 petrol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:36 am 
Offline
Forum User

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 pm
Posts: 389
Location: Kent, UK
dreamcar wrote:
Thanks - but i wrote wrong :(

I meant AML ?? sorry

Abrevations is a little problem for me - english id not my daily language

Regards
Hans
Think AML was mean't to be EML, Rudy83 may correct me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:36 am 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:25 pm
Posts: 6601
Location: RLP, Germany
Well, here it goes:

If you don't want a fast car, go for a 2l. Personally I would choose the 2l EW10 engine over the 2l XU engine as power output is slightly better and fuel consumption is reasonably better.

Regarding the handling. I have a 2l EW10 as a daily driver, a V6 for the odd run out and my brother has a 2.2l petrol.

All three have the V6 strut brace fitted and are on standard suspension. In all honesty, the 2l and 2.2l outperform the V6 round corners by a huge amount. They just stick to the road when in the V6 you feel the engine shifting the front to the side of the road. Yes, the V6 is a joy to drive, but mine now has thrown up the second EML with misifing in 5k miles of driving and already had 6 new coils a few years ago (white topped ones) of which now the second one has failed. It also has the pre-cat intermittent fault. That car has done 94k miles.

On the 2l, I'm at 174k miles and have replaced the coil pack once in 2012 when the car had done about 90k miles. No trouble at all with the ignition system since then.

Working on the engines is fairly easy on all of them, the 2.2l being a bit odd when doing the cam belt.

The V6 (J4S) and the 2l EW10 use nearly no oil while the 2.2l requires topping up very regularly and from what I've read it's a feature of that engine. It also sounds like a diesel from cold and fuel consumption isn't much better than the J4S V6.

If you have any other questions, please ask. My personal opinion is that as an everyday car I will always choose the 2l over any other engine. For fun or as a weekend toy that doesn't need to be ultra reliable, I'd choose the J4S V6 or the J4 V6.

_________________
2001 - Galileo Green - 2.0L (137bhp) - SE
2000 - Polaris Blue - 2.0L (137bhp) - S
2001 - Hades Grey - 3.0L V6 (210bhp) - Settant'anni

EW10J4 2.0 16V, Premium, Black Leather, Manual, 2001
PRINS VSI LPG
Nivek Scoop & K&N Panel filter, V6 Strut Brace, 4300K HIDs, Stainless Steel Exhaust by Friedrich Motorsport, 17" Challenger alloys
Four accidents, still going strong...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 am 
Offline
Forum User

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:43 pm
Posts: 712
Location: Peugeot 406 Coupe D9 (2000), 2.0l 16v Petrol Manual EW10 SE London
CrazyPugger wrote:
Still after a good 2.2 petrol or 2.0 manual Coupe. Must be good body wise a few gremilins are ok mechanically! Ideally leather/half leather, but cloth acceptable . Found a fair few but failed at the final hurdle, don't want to part with it, sorry but somebody is coming in the morning even though you have made an appointment for the next day and others not quite as advertised. Now on Coupe lead No 8 and 18 months down the line! I still live in hope and have a reasonable budget!



Hi Crazypugger,

I maybe looking to sell my coupe in the future (possibly somepoint next year), just to give you the heads up.
I gutted to let her go but i'm forced to with the proposed ULEZ expansion in london.

It's a 2000 D9 2.0l is Cosmos Grey
Just had a cambelt service.
In the last few years i've replaced:
front and rear brake discs and pad
air-con pump
clutch
Engine mounts
various other bits and bob
Upgraded to 16in starfish alloys
Half leather interior installed
Runs smoothly as I don't thrash it (only do 3miles a year)

Spent hundreds of £ (over £1000 in the last couple of years).

Sounds exactly what you are looking for, but i'm not sure how long you can hold out for it (I don't want to sell it just yet) :(

_________________
2000 - Cosmos Grey - 2.0L (137bhp) - S

Peugeot 406 Coupe
D9 (2000), 2.0l 16v Petrol
Manual
EW10
SE London


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:45 pm 
Offline
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:26 am
Posts: 166
Location: Denmark
Comments to deMarcel

I have 12 years and 225.000 km experience with the 2,0 EW10 in my former 406 saloon, D9.
I agree that it is an exellent engine with low oil consumption.

The ignition block was changed at about 140.000 km.
The clutch was changed at about 180.000 km.
Normal service an maintenance.

Regarding the EW12J4 in my Coupe I can confirm that there is an oil consumption. I have made a measurement which says about 0,1 to 0,12 L/1000 km.

I can also confirm that the engine sound at cold start is hard, but the sound disapears after les than 1 min driving.
According to my local 406 specialist those 2 issues is a feature with the 2,2 engine as you also say.

Regarding fuel consumtion: 7 L/100 km on longer trips, 8 L/100 km on shorter trips.

You wrote:
"All three have the V6 strut brace fitted and are on standard suspension"

My 2,2 has no strut brace fitted - will there be a change in the driving experience if I fit one ??

regards
Hans

_________________
2002 - Satellite Grey - 2.2L - SE

2016 to ?? , Peugeot 406 Coupe 2,2 petrol.2002, SE, black leather.
2015 to ?? , Peugeot 308 SW, 1,6 e hdi, 120 Hp
2004 to 2016, Peugeot 406 saloon, 2,0 petrol
1998 to 2008, peugeot 306 1,6 petrol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:25 pm
Posts: 6601
Location: RLP, Germany
dreamcar wrote:
Comments to deMarcel

I have 12 years and 225.000 km experience with the 2,0 EW10 in my former 406 saloon, D9.
I agree that it is an exellent engine with low oil consumption.

The ignition block was changed at about 140.000 km.
The clutch was changed at about 180.000 km.
Normal service an maintenance.

Regarding the EW12J4 in my Coupe I can confirm that there is an oil consumption. I have made a measurement which says about 0,1 to 0,12 L/1000 km.

I can also confirm that the engine sound at cold start is hard, but the sound disapears after les than 1 min driving.
According to my local 406 specialist those 2 issues is a feature with the 2,2 engine as you also say.

Regarding fuel consumtion: 7 L/100 km on longer trips, 8 L/100 km on shorter trips.

You wrote:
"All three have the V6 strut brace fitted and are on standard suspension"

My 2,2 has no strut brace fitted - will there be a change in the driving experience if I fit one ??

regards
Hans


Hi Hans, yes, there's a huge difference to the handling, the car feels less wobbly on the front. I highly recommend it :good:

_________________
2001 - Galileo Green - 2.0L (137bhp) - SE
2000 - Polaris Blue - 2.0L (137bhp) - S
2001 - Hades Grey - 3.0L V6 (210bhp) - Settant'anni

EW10J4 2.0 16V, Premium, Black Leather, Manual, 2001
PRINS VSI LPG
Nivek Scoop & K&N Panel filter, V6 Strut Brace, 4300K HIDs, Stainless Steel Exhaust by Friedrich Motorsport, 17" Challenger alloys
Four accidents, still going strong...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:23 pm 
Offline
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:26 am
Posts: 166
Location: Denmark
Thanks :good: .
I will try to find one at a breaker.

Regards
Hans

_________________
2002 - Satellite Grey - 2.2L - SE

2016 to ?? , Peugeot 406 Coupe 2,2 petrol.2002, SE, black leather.
2015 to ?? , Peugeot 308 SW, 1,6 e hdi, 120 Hp
2004 to 2016, Peugeot 406 saloon, 2,0 petrol
1998 to 2008, peugeot 306 1,6 petrol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline
Forum User

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 pm
Posts: 389
Location: Kent, UK
I think the 406 chassis would have been developed with the 1.8/2.0 in mind as this would be the most customers choice, As for the Coupe a V6 would be the ultimate and possibly is, get from A-B with minimal fuss but in the twisty, seat of pants stuff it may be a little nose heavy, nothing new here! Round my way no side would win it's how you wish to get there. My choice is having a Coupe I feel has the most chance of surviving the ravages of time, I am erring 2.0 over 2.2! 3.0 will need a really dedicated individual with more resources and possibly deeper pockets than I have! :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:07 am
Posts: 1233
Location: Market Drayton
Do the EMLs have their own fuse? :unknown:

_________________
2002 - Granite - 3.0L V6 (210bhp) - SE



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:12 pm 
Offline
Forum User

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:11 pm
Posts: 40
Location: Doncaster
Wrong end of country but viewed this car myself really very very tidy and a no nonsense bloke! if it had been a V6 I would have ripped his hand off. Only concern was a bit of paint bubble on n/s sill on seam with rear quarter. Mot history shows corrosion same place but behind sill which has been repaired to a high standard. Sorry but 2.0l not really my thing but maybe of interest to you.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... 1301451318

_________________
2002 - Diablo Red - 3.0L V6 (210bhp) - SE
2002 - Granite - 2.2L HDi - SE
2001 - Diablo Red - 3.0L V6 (210bhp) - SE



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 23406
Location: Poole, Dorset UK
Quote:
only do 3miles a year


That is somewhat under used!

_________________
After three V6 autos, I am now without a coupe. Driving a Volvo XC70 tank!


For auto drivers: check out the Tatswitch mod at:
http://www.406coupeclub.org/PHPBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10710


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:27 am 
Offline
Forum User

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:44 pm
Posts: 347
Location: Leicestershire , UK
I have to say Crazy that looks just what your looking for sounds very good & well looked after
The list of work it's had done recently adds up to the asking price.

Must be worth the trip :good:

_________________
99 3.0 V6 se Diablo Red D8.5 manual with black leather (summer toy)
2002 2.0 hdi 406 Rapier estate Monaco blue manual (family work horse)
2005 1.4 16v 206 sport Aegean blue manual (school run & shopping trolley)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:24 pm 
Offline
Forum User

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 pm
Posts: 389
Location: Kent, UK
Sounds a good one, the rot concerns me quite a bit but is cheap! If it can wait a week or so I can go to view. Why are there no Coupes within a sensible distance from me, the usual is 200 miles plus! you northern folk are spoilt rotten :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:39 pm
Posts: 1091
Location: Sunny Bournemouth.
The car looks nice on the outside, but what I don't understand is why spend lots of money on a car, a nice detailed advert - but can't be bothered to open the door to photograph the interior....!!!
Aaaaargh, it's a pet hate of mine :evil:

Might be a cheap one way train fare to Hull.

_________________
2002 - Custom - 2.2L HDi - SE

Sadly no longer a 406 owner - possibly the best cars I have ever owned.
1999 VW T4 family wagon - practical but not a patch on the 406
2002 Hdi90 Citroen Picasso - Its the wife's ( honest! )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:40 pm 
Offline
Forum User

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:44 pm
Posts: 347
Location: Leicestershire , UK
GingerMagic wrote:
The car looks nice on the outside, but what I don't understand is why spend lots of money on a car, a nice detailed advert - but can't be bothered to open the door to photograph the interior....!!!
Aaaaargh, it's a pet hate of mine :evil:

Might be a cheap one way train fare to Hull.


Look at the last picture Ginger :facepalm:

Not the greatest pictures, but you can tell the condition.

_________________
99 3.0 V6 se Diablo Red D8.5 manual with black leather (summer toy)
2002 2.0 hdi 406 Rapier estate Monaco blue manual (family work horse)
2005 1.4 16v 206 sport Aegean blue manual (school run & shopping trolley)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 am 
Offline
Forum User

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:43 pm
Posts: 712
Location: Peugeot 406 Coupe D9 (2000), 2.0l 16v Petrol Manual EW10 SE London
Tatsfield wrote:
Quote:
only do 3miles a year


That is somewhat under used!


lol, that should be 3k miles a year

_________________
2000 - Cosmos Grey - 2.0L (137bhp) - S

Peugeot 406 Coupe
D9 (2000), 2.0l 16v Petrol
Manual
EW10
SE London


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:39 pm
Posts: 1091
Location: Sunny Bournemouth.
dirtydirtydiesel wrote:
GingerMagic wrote:
The car looks nice on the outside, but what I don't understand is why spend lots of money on a car, a nice detailed advert - but can't be bothered to open the door to photograph the interior....!!!
Aaaaargh, it's a pet hate of mine :evil:

Might be a cheap one way train fare to Hull.


Look at the last picture Ginger :facepalm:

Not the greatest pictures, but you can tell the condition.


Oh, silly me, my mistake :oops:
Yes there is an interior picture after all, but still not the greatest effort to show it at its best....

_________________
2002 - Custom - 2.2L HDi - SE

Sadly no longer a 406 owner - possibly the best cars I have ever owned.
1999 VW T4 family wagon - practical but not a patch on the 406
2002 Hdi90 Citroen Picasso - Its the wife's ( honest! )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 am 
Offline
Forum User

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Wisbech
Hi, don't know if you found a coupe but im selling mine.
Its a 2003 Black/ Silver edition, totally original, no mods. Full service history, only 75000 miles. Colour is Black. 2.2 petrol. Runs and drives great. Will add pics later

jaycatxl@gmail.com


Last edited by JayCatXL on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:51 am 
Offline
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 23406
Location: Poole, Dorset UK
The article tends to concentrate on comparing the 2.2 with the outgoing 2.0 and is most favourably disposed towards the new engine, but then the reviewer didn't know about excessive oil consumption or cat monitoring systems failing the MoT.

The French tend to be obsessed with small engines and economy, even in the flagship vehicle that was Peugeot's "dream car". Clarkson would have only tested the biggest most powerful engine and dismissed all others while this guy takes the realistic approach that the French will buy the smallest engine with a manual gearbox despite there being cheap insurance for the V6 and no punitive road tax. If the 2.2 had been the original "small engine" and Peugeot had gone ahead with improvements to its design, the differences between the cooking car and the dream car would have been a lot less.

_________________
After three V6 autos, I am now without a coupe. Driving a Volvo XC70 tank!


For auto drivers: check out the Tatswitch mod at:
http://www.406coupeclub.org/PHPBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10710


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:32 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:25 pm
Posts: 6601
Location: RLP, Germany
Tatsfield wrote:
The article tends to concentrate on comparing the 2.2 with the outgoing 2.0 and is most favourably disposed towards the new engine, but then the reviewer didn't know about excessive oil consumption or cat monitoring systems failing the MoT.

The French tend to be obsessed with small engines and economy, even in the flagship vehicle that was Peugeot's "dream car". Clarkson would have only tested the biggest most powerful engine and dismissed all others while this guy takes the realistic approach that the French will buy the smallest engine with a manual gearbox despite there being cheap insurance for the V6 and no punitive road tax. If the 2.2 had been the original "small engine" and Peugeot had gone ahead with improvements to its design, the differences between the cooking car and the dream car would have been a lot less.

The second 2l, EW10J4, was used in the 406 from 1999 to the end of production and is just 2 years older than the 2.2l petrol which took a lot from the 2.0 EW10 engines (standard and RC/GTi 2l 180bhp) - for example, rocker covers are the same, additional air pump is nearly the same, exhaust manifolds fit vice versa, engine cover is the same etc etc - I don't think the 2.2l is as far ahead as you'd might think - yes, it has more power but fuel economy is a let down compared to D9 2l and D9 V6 (which is just slightly worse but has a lot more power) and the oil consumption and the sound from cold are a bit concerning.

I'm not saying the 2.2l is a bad engine, I'm just saying that I'm glad we have so many engines to choose from to fit our own needs. :good:

_________________
2001 - Galileo Green - 2.0L (137bhp) - SE
2000 - Polaris Blue - 2.0L (137bhp) - S
2001 - Hades Grey - 3.0L V6 (210bhp) - Settant'anni

EW10J4 2.0 16V, Premium, Black Leather, Manual, 2001
PRINS VSI LPG
Nivek Scoop & K&N Panel filter, V6 Strut Brace, 4300K HIDs, Stainless Steel Exhaust by Friedrich Motorsport, 17" Challenger alloys
Four accidents, still going strong...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2.2 or 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:30 pm 
Offline
Forum User

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:44 pm
Posts: 347
Location: Leicestershire , UK
JayCatXL wrote:
Hi, don't know if you found a coupe but im selling mine.
Its a 2003 Black/ Silver edition, totally original, no mods. Full service history, only 75000 miles. Colour is Black. 2.2 petrol. Runs and drives great. Will add pics later

jaycatxl@gmail.com


Worth a look Crazy :unknown:

_________________
99 3.0 V6 se Diablo Red D8.5 manual with black leather (summer toy)
2002 2.0 hdi 406 Rapier estate Monaco blue manual (family work horse)
2005 1.4 16v 206 sport Aegean blue manual (school run & shopping trolley)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
[ Time : 1.081s | 29 Queries | GZIP : Off ]